Friday, February 02, 2007

Advertising Time Capsule

Those living in London will be aware of a refurbishment underway to the platform and tunnels of the underground. This is in preparation for new advertising installations by Viacom, who were recently awarded the contract to sell the advertising space for Transport for London.

Currently, in one of the hallways to the Southbound Victoria line at Oxford Circus, there is an advertising time capsule. For some reason, someone has gone to the trouble of removing layers of advertising and has revealed posters, mostly intact, from 20 years ago. It's a really neat effect. There are ads for exhibitions at museums, for films and for clothing stores, all from about 1990 I think.

I wish now that I'd stopped to look more closely and take a couple of photos with my diabolically bad cameraphone. Hopefully the posters will be there next time I go through.

No comments: