Saturday, November 18, 2006

Online Art

My cousin Daniel recently completed a Masters of Fine Arts at the Chelsea College of Art and Design. Since moving to London five years ago I've enjoyed following his various art projects - he brings a kind of whimsy to his work that I really appreciate.

He recently hosted a week-long art event on a small island off the coast of Croatia called Susak. Apparently it's a beautiful and somewhat isolated place. I've lifted some text from a forum site about the island:

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THE PEOPLE LIVING ON THE ISLAND!!!!! (I can't seem to stress this one out enough)

So all of you that hear things about deliverance-type of weirdos and shit about mutants - You've been tricked. I can guarantee you that the percentage of strange people is far lower than in the town where you're comming from.

IF YOU WANT FREAKS, GO TO THE FUCKING CIRCUS.


The island doesn't really have roads so the all the locals have wheelbarrows to cart their things around. Daniel made a t-shirt inspired by this which you can buy from his site . During the Susak Expo Daniel undertook a project to paint as many of the wheelbarrows as possible bright orange. There are some great photos here . I'd particularly recommend clicking on the photo on the right of the old guy.

Daniel has invited me to collaborate with him in a project yet-to-be-defined. Hopefully we can think of something cool...

No comments: